Beef Stew

Beef Stew

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tangy Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice

I just figured out how to make a link on my blog all by myself! I am still new to all of this and get super proud of myself when I do something that seems to me to be pretty computer savvy.  Anyway, if you have a toddler, I highly recommend these chicken nuggets.  My son loves them and I don't feel like I'm feeding him all of the weird chemicals that go into regular chicken nuggets. I have only seen them at Whole Foods and they are pretty pricey but i think they are worth it.  If you want to try them out, now would be a great time! They are on sale for $3.19 a box and there is also a $1 off coupon. Look to the right of the page for the deal and the link to the coupon!

 On a trip to the Pig yesterday, I saw that ground round was on sale so I got a medium sized package.  Burgers are definitely reserved for the weekends at our house so I will probably make these for watching the Alabama game.  Avocados were also a really great price so I picked up 2. they are hard as rocks but are now in a paper bag on top of my fridge getting ripe so they can be turned into a topping for my California Green Chili Burgers.  Burgers don't really require a recipe but I'll throw it up next week if anyone is interested!

I believe that I mentioned that I bought some chicken thighs last week at Piggly Wiggly when they were on sale.  I came up with this recipe recently and it went over well at our house so last night I made it for the 3rd time.  I got 2.5 lbs of chicken thighs which is enough for us to have for dinner again tonight. Serving it over coconut rice is optional although I think that it should be served over some kind of rice! I use brown rice when I cook during the week but the coconut milk really turns boring brown rice into something special!

Tangy Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice -As you can see this recipe doesn't require many ingredients and although it cooks for over an hour, the prep time is really fast.

In a small bowl, mix together the marmalade, vinegar and stock and set aside. Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium high heat.  Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.  Add the chicken to the hot oil to brown approximately 5 minutes. Work in batches if all of the chicken won't fit in the pan.  When chicken is brown on one side, remove from the pan and add the onions cooking until soft 3-5 minutes.  Add the garlic, cook an additional minute.  Add the flour and stir for one minute.  Add the broth mixture while scrapping up the bottom of the pan with your spoon.  When the mixture returns to a simmer, add the chicken back into the pan submerging it in the sauce.  Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 1.5 hours.  If you don't have a lid for your pan just use a large plate or cookie sheet etc.  Serve over rice. Serves 4-6

sauce before chicken is added back






finished product


 Coconut Rice- serves 4
1.5 cups rice
2 cups light coconut milk
1 cup water

bring rice, milk, and water to a boil. cover and reduce heat to low/medium low. cook for 20 minutes. don't peek or stir after you have covered it!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment