Beef Stew

Beef Stew

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Italian Sausage and Artichoke Soup

Check out "This Week's Deals" for awesome discounts! Surely I'm not the only one thinking about Christmas and ways to buy decent gifts for my family without having to go into bankruptcy! I am going to take advantage of the photo book deal for the grandparents if I can find the time to create it in the next 24 hours!  Also, Garden and Gun is a fantastic magazine and would make a good Christmas gift for just about any southerner. These deals expire tomorrow so take advantage of them soon!

Italian Sausage and Artichoke Soup -Sorry for the blurry picture. My camera is on its last leg. This is a very easy recipe that was shared with me by a friend. I made a few minor adjustments to it such as adding some beans. We had the soup with cornbread. It was tasty, healthy, easy and filling; what more could you ask for! Later this week, Mexican Lasagna aka Taco Casserole.  If you have any recipes that you want to share, please email me!

1 16oz. package Italian sausage (Johnsonville is really good)
2 14oz. cans artichoke hearts
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice (or 2 14 oz cans)
1 14 oz can white beans drained (great northern beans) optional
2 packages Lipton's onion soup mix
6 cups of water
2 tsp. of Italian seasoning or a tsp each of oregano and basil
 
Brown sausage into soup pot. Drain, crumble and add back to pot. Cut artichokes into small pieces and add to pot. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Season to taste. Done!
 
Cornbread- if you are looking for a great cornbread recipe, this is it!

1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 cup self rising corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1 stick butter-melted and cooled
1/4 tsp salt if you used unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 375.  whisk together all ingredients. Pour into a 10 inch iron skillet or 6 inch skillets. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I am not positive about the cooking time and my oven isn't very accurate so I suggest checking on it every 5 minutes after it's been in for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment