Beef Stew

Beef Stew

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Turkey Stroganoff

Want a free movie from the Blockbuster Kiosk? Check out the "This Week's Deals" section of my blog. Also, the free songs from itunes deal is still good through the end of the month.

I had to change my menu plan for this week after I went to COSTCO, bought a 4 pack of ground turkey and came home to realize that I still had 2 packages in the freezer. Oops! In the interest of using up some of this surplus, I thought that it would be best to make a turkey dish this week so I came up with a recipe for Ground Turkey Stroganoff.  As promised, I will make Greek Chicken Roll-Ups with a Warm Orzo Salad later this week but will save the Italian Sausage and Artichoke Soup for next week along with Turkey Taco Casserole. Be prepared for a lot of recipes using ground turkey in the coming weeks! FYI, Piggly Wiggly's Italian Sausage is on sale right now so I picked up a package and will save it for next week's recipe.

Turkey Stroganoff- I found a rather fancy recipe for Beef Stroganoff that called for red wine, wild mushrooms, sherry, fresh thyme, dry mustard and fresh parsley for garnish (which I will admit would have make for a prettier dish than the one that i photographed!) and sort of dumbed it down in order to cut the cost and also to save time. I'm sure that it would be delicious but during the week, I'm just trying to keep things as simple as possible. I also cut the calories by eliminating the butter, substituting light sour cream for regular and using 25% less sour cream than the recipe called for.  I think that it turned out just fine and my husband gave it a thumbs up as well. This recipe makes a ton so it would even feed a family of 6 (meredith) although I don't know if kids eat this kind of thing now a days.

1 lb egg noodles cooked according to package directions
1 package ground turkey browned and drained
1 large yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic minced
3 cups of beef broth
1 lb of mushrooms (any kind) sliced
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups light sour cream
4 tbsp flour 
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium high heat, add olive oil and saute onions until soft about 10 minutes.  Add garlic and cook another minute.    Add the stock and deglaze the pan and let the stock and bring to a simmer.   Add in the mushrooms and turkey, stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and let cook for an hour, stirring occasionally.  In a small bowl, whisk together the Worcestershire sauce, sour cream and flour. When ready to serve, stir in the sour cream mixture. Increase heat to med-high and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken the sauce. Serve over hot noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment